BIOL 472.01 -- Fall 2007
The Hand's WOODS Project (a service-learning course)
(Link to the Hand's WOODS Foundation Website)
This is a class where undergraduate Millersville University students are developing proposals for the Hand's WOODS Project's "5 Year Plan." The WOODS in "Hand's WOODS" stands for "Wild Outdoor Observatory Designed by Students" and refers to an under-utilized eight acre woodlot behind Hand Middle School and Washington Elementary in southeast Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
The goal of the Hand's WOODS Foundation (est. 2006) is to support the development of this woodlot as a safe and lasting educational resource for teachers and students of the School District of Lancaster.
1. Instructor, Dr. Christopher Hardy (Department of Biology, Millersville University)
2. Syllabus (including objectives)
3. Background on the Hand's WOODS Project, Powerpoint Presentation
4. Aerial Photo of the Area, Courtesy of the Lancaster County Conservancy
5. Hand's WOODS Course (BIOL 472.01) Photo Gallery (Sep - Nov 2007)
6. Wed., 12 Dec 2007, Meeting Program and General Announcement (all community members, students, faculty, and any other interested persons are welcome to attend)
5-yr. Plan, Proposal Development Teams
The following teams of Millersville University students will be developing their own 5-year proposals semi-independently of one another (although ideas will be exchanged during periodic class room discussions).
Nick Dower, Phelan Piehota, Gary Weiberg, and Rachel Wengert
Jared Brooks, Ed Corriveau, Elizabeth Fantazzia, Katrina Longenecker, and Shawn Sensenig
Yanisse Abreu, Diane Hamrick, Edalmira Rivera, and Nataliya Stone